32bit vs 64bit

mayoollie

Re: 32bit vs 64bit

Post by mayoollie »

I honestly can't see how changing from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version of any application will make it magically run faster or better or anything, besides perhaps upping how much RAM can be allocated to it, certainly won't make it multi-thread any differently?

To be honest if you are starting to run into a RAM use issue with Farm Sim 2013 then its going to run badly no matter if its 64 bit, 1024 bit or running on a few 10 core Xeons, the game engine can't handle endless amounts of mods and maps, I always keep them to a minimum.
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes
don_apple

Re: 32bit vs 64bit

Post by don_apple »

Hi!
mayoollie wrote:I honestly can't see how changing from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version of any application will make it magically run faster or better or anything, besides perhaps upping how much RAM can be allocated to it, certainly won't make it multi-thread any differently?

To be honest if you are starting to run into a RAM use issue with Farm Sim 2013 then its going to run badly no matter if its 64 bit, 1024 bit or running on a few 10 core Xeons, the game engine can't handle endless amounts of mods and maps, I always keep them to a minimum.
Changing an application from 32bit to 64bit actually brings more benefits than just being able to address a larger amount of memory.

You might want to have a look at https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... -TPXREF101
where some of the benefits of recompiling an application for 64bit for Mac OS X are listed. The benefits mentioned there in the "Performance-Critical Applications" section are valid for Windows as well, since they come as part of the 64bit support in the Intel/AMD x86 processor architecture. And as most people will agree LS13 is a performance-critical application, so anything that can be done to improve the performance (without having to spend a large amount of money on new hardware) is a good thing.

Regards,
don_apple