FS22 Save Game Relocation

KennardTV

FS22 Save Game Relocation

Post by KennardTV »

Hello, I'm have a hard that is slowly but surely failing. I'm wanting to relocate my main FS22 (Not Mods) folder onto my newly installed drive. I've scoured the internet but everything seems to point to the relocation of the mods folder. Can anyone advise how to do so?
BernardC

Re: FS22 Save Game Relocation

Post by BernardC »

What you could try is to relocate on your new intalled drive your " Documents "

you should do a right mouse click on the " Documents" folder then select properties and thre uou can select a new path to it
Dezza69

Post by Dezza69 »

Hi

What I do is use the command line command “mklink” to make a “directory/folder” junction from the “My Games/FarmingSimulator22/“ folder to the new folder location.

… I’ll post more detailed instructions later when next on the gaming rig.

Edit - … if you’re wanting to move the actual game exe install folder, just uninstall and reinstall the game where you want it.
Dezza69

Post by Dezza69 »

Steps below to move the game's save folder from the standard Windows install (usually C:\Users\<<your_user_name>>\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022\") to wherever you'd prefer it. Mine's on the same super fast SSD the game is installed on.

I've tried to make these generic, and I also have no idea of individual users understandings of folders, command prompt use, etc - so ...

--> :confusednew: firstly, make backup copies of any important stuff, I'm not responsible for deleted files, etc ... :lol:

and, remember to change "<<your_user_name>>" to ... your user name!

"mklink" is the Windoze command line equivalent of the Unix command "ln" - it's used to create symbolic/hard links. Or a "directory junction" in this case.

You'll need to run "Command Prompt" as an Administrator.

1. Using your preferred method(s), Move/Copy/Setup a folder where you'd like your game save stored (eg: S:\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022). You could just move the current FarmingSimulator2022 folder to the new location, for example.
2. Ensure there is NO FOLDER in the initial/standard location called "FarmingSimulator2022" following step 1 (If there is, remove it or this probably won't work).
3. Run "Command Prompt" as an Administrator, it mostly starts in your home folder.
4. type in (and press enter at the end!)

Code: Select all

mklink /J "C:\Users\<<your_user_name>>\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022\" "S:\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022\"
That should be it.

The help for mklink can be viewed using

Code: Select all

mklink /?
- but basically it's:
MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

Hope this helps and is not too confuusing. :lol:

Happy Farming!! :biggrin2:

(edit: fixed a '>>\Documents' mistake within the code link)
heathcotegeorgian

Post by heathcotegeorgian »

In order to do this, I used the command line tool "mklink" to make a "directory/folder" link from the "My Games/FarmingSimulator22/" folder to the new folder location.

The following time I use the gaming rig, I'll post more comprehensive instructions.

EDIT - Simply uninstall the game and reinstall it in the new spot if you want to move the actual game exe installation folder.
styxman

Post by styxman »

mklink command is no longer recognized (bummer as it is a great name: Make a Link) Replace the mklink command with the following:

(Run as Administrator.)

New-Item -ItemType Junction -Path "C:\Users\<<your_user_name>>\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022\" -Target "S:\My Games\FarmingSimulator2022\"

Please note that the above command uses -Path to show location of the original Save Game site and -Target to locate the desired location.
The switch /J is no longer recognized as is replaced by the type definition: Junction.

For more detail on the replacement command (New_Item see:

https://winaero.com/create-symbolic-lin ... owershell/

Farming Simulator 22 was saving my game data to Microsoft OneDrive - My permissions did not allow me to create a link in OneDrive. To correct this, Giant sent the following URL:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 51e912b034

The above URL does not work as it is out dated. The workaround for me was to open "Settings" and in the "Find" box at the top of the "Settings" window enter "Controlled folder access" which opened the window noted in the above URL (sent from Giant).

Apparently there is no way to change the location of the game data within the game. Something Giant could ask for during install.

The above changes worked for me. Weird that the step 4 is: "Switch the Controlled folder access setting to On or Off."

Hope this helps!